Having to invest in a new roof can be a major expense for homeowners, but if proper roof maintenance is performed then some problems can be prevented, and the lifespan can be prolonged. Below are a few tips to help keep your roof in excellent condition for as long as possible.
- Observe and Pay Attention: You can perform a simple visual inspection from the ground using a pair of binoculars. Scan your roof for signs of damaged or loose shingles and flashings. Also keep an eye out for any missing, curling or cracked shingles. If you see any of these signs be sure to contact us for an inspection to prevent further damage.
- Ensure Gutters Are Clear: Clogged gutters can cause water to go underneath your shingles which can lead to overflowing water and that can ruin landscaping as well as stain siding. Make sure you have clean and functional gutters. This can reduce the risk of roof leaks and other damage.
- Proper Insulation and Ventilation: Ensuring your attic is properly ventilated and has the right insulation can prevent water vapor from accumulating and damaging your roof’s underside. This can also help to reduce the energy consumption in your home. If you see any signs of water damage reach out to us for an inspection.
- Keep Branches Away: Tree branches and leaves can scrape away protective material on your shingles leaving damage. Branches can fall on your roof causing shingles to become loose or crack. It is recommended that branches are at least 10 feet away from the roof.
- Schedule Regular Roof Inspections: If you don’t want small issues to turn into bigger problems, schedule regular roof inspections at least once a year. A roofing specialist can perform a checkup and help fix any minor problems and keep your roofing system in the best condition.
- Choose the Right Qualified Contractor: Who you hire as a roofing contractor can have a major effect on the performance of your roof. Make sure to look over testimonials, recommendations and examine business histories. Knowing you are working with a reputable company can ensure fewer mistakes and excellent workmanship as well as the peace of mind that you are being taken care of.
Severe storms lead to unpredictable exterior problems. That’s why it’s important to choose the right roofing and siding professional to inspect the integrity of your home after a storm. It’s important to find someone who is properly certified, efficient, and available to complete your warranty work. All of which you’ll find working with Millersberg Construction. Contact us today at 507-301-3626 or use our online contact form to request a free, no-obligation inspection!
Subscribe to Millersberg Construction's Blog
I had no idea that tree branches and leaves can scrape away the protective material on shingles! My house has a large tree next to it that we keep maintained so that we can walk under it, but we definitely don't keep the branches away from the roof as much as we probably should. We will work on fixing that and maybe look into having someone come and look at our roof to see if there is any damage that needs to be fixed.